He is from 'Haryana'!

Once again I was forced into a debate. Debate superficially was on the language ‘haryanvi’ but I believe it was more on mentality and perception of people which make them take decision rather than rational thinking. A group of my 'friends' were discussing something on ‘khap panchayat’ and while passing by, I too tried to crack a joke on that. But suddenly someone criticized people of Haryana for their use of ‘haryanvi’(?). It really pushed me into the discussion and I was surprised at their comments, which were way too offending. I shall start with the comments and later will try to look into a bigger picture behind this.


Someone started with an incident referring to the rudeness of the language by giving an example of conductor, who misbehaved with him. I too believe that this dialect is aggressive but can this be used to criticize someone? I mean that guy, who mentioned the incident, could have been born in some village of Haryana and would have been using this same way of expression. It is the environment that has made them more aggressive and that is reflected in language too. One will take pride in Vijendra Singh or Sushil Kumar or Saina Nehwal’s achievements which are due to this same aggressive behavior but will still criticize normal person for using that behavior. I used to find Bhojpuri very awkward initially but now my every second word end up with ‘wa’ or ’ba’. So, it is the environment that affects our use of language and I won’t stand a criticism of anyone on that basis.


Someone then started that it is even written in epics that one should be polite and this use of Haryanvi doesn’t really sound polite. That dude after sometime was literally shouting in ‘Hindi’. So, isn’t this politeness reflected by your behavior and not by the language one uses? I can write hundreds of word which will be considered polite by someone versed in Haryanvi. Does the fact that a language is spoken in high pitch is enough for criticizing it?


I don’t favor regionalism at all as it is the root cause of many problems in India. I came in support of Haryanvi as everyone is free to use any way of expression, of course, it should not be derogatory to others. I was disappointed by the arguments and logics behind this perception of my classmates, who have cleared JEE and considered smart(?). So, I request everyone to please give a thought before criticizing someone. And I believe no logic will justify criticism based on region, color and race.


None of them have ever lived in Haryana for more than 3 days and have not even interacted with more than 5 people from Haryana in their life but still they have made this perception which I believe is due to the regionalism prevailing in India. Media has also played a major role in this.

Comments

  1. Very nice article....author is really a shrewd man..hats off !!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Origin of consciousness?

Comparison of Indian and US education system

How common man can play its part in curbing terrorism: